Self-introduction

 

Dear Professor Blackstone,

 

I am Goh Bing Zhe from your effective communication class S14 and I hope this self-introduction letter will allow you to know me better. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering in 2020.

I have always been curious about the mechanical aspects of appliances since I was a child. I would often disassemble my home appliances such as fans and CD player to observe how the gears are running behind the scenes. I also served in the Singapore Armed Forces as a technician, repairing and servicing armoured vehicles. All these factors brought me to where I am today, pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering with SIT.

I would say that one of my communication strengths is being able to get my ideas across to my friends/peers when we are working on something together. Back in polytechnic, there were quite a few group projects to be done. I was able to convey my ideas clearly and we did a great job completing those projects.

On the other hand, I would say that public speaking is one of my weaknesses in communication. Even though I am able to project my voice loud and clear, I often feel nervous and stutter when I am giving a speech. As seen from the small presentation we had regarding critical thinking terminology, I was not able to answer your questions or present without stuttering a few words.

I know that there will be more presentations along the way and even more so in the working industry. Thus, I hope that I can get better at presenting myself. Unfortunately, I have a weak foundation in the English language as well. During this module, I hope that I can improve on my English and be more fluent in it.

Something special that makes me who I am will be that I can work well under pressure. I am able to stay calm and think of solutions, giving my best to everything I do.

Thank you for taking your time to read this letter and I look forward to learning more from you.

Regards,

Goh Bing Zhe


Read Javier's and Zi Yan's post

Comments

  1. Purpose: The letter was written descriptively as he shared more about himself, reflection can be seen through the identifying of strengths and weaknesses. Bing Zhe must have been chosen to be a mechanical engineer since young when he dismantled the machines in his house.

    Grammar: Small grammatical errors, but overall is fine. The choice of words is simple, comprehensive, and conveys the message.

    Structure: Overall flow was good, with a brief introduction about his background, transitioning to his strengths and weaknesses which are the goals that he intends to work on during this module

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javier

      Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Dear Bing Zhe,

    Thank you for this clear concise letter with the personal sharing. I appreciate the rich content that is well aligned with the assignment brief, the effective way you have organized your thoughts and the generally flawless language use.

    You've done a very fine job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a clearer understanding of who you are. I especially appreciate how you explain that you developed an interest in all things mechanical in childhood by disassembling devices.

    From the discussion of your comm skills strength and from your project experience in poly, it's easy to see that you have leadership qualities. You can also think of that as unrealized potential, since you also identify presentations as an area that you need to work on in our module.

    I look forward to seein your development and working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear professor Brad,

      Thank you for your response and I look forward to your class!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Summary/Reader's response draft 1